< Masayang Saging: This too shall pass

Friday, November 30, 2007

This too shall pass



Sometimes I think I know the answer to everything, how to deal with life, with people…and with love.

One of my best friends is dealing with anxiety and clinical depression. It pissed me off how negative he got about life. But I too have my bouts of the same and it struck me how hard and difficult it was to deal with it AT THAT MOMENT. Imagine how he was dealing with it EVERYDAY. It was no picnic. Literally makes one idle with despair.

Between being true to myself by expressing and acknowledging what I feel, I fight with myself to focus on the positive aspect of life.
Sometimes, it also made me wonder how people could never empathize with how other's feel despite their good intentions and advice. It really is true that you can only give what you have. Well meaning intentions can sometimes hinder rather than help.
Don’t be like this, do it like that. It makes me feel torn sometimes between listening to other people’s woes and giving them a good kick in the pants.
It’s also funny how I could give good advice to people but I could not even accept my own medicine.

We just need people to validate what we feel is all too real and not something we make up. Because we know in our hearts what we need to do, we just need people to say we “Yes I know how you feel, its not easy” or “I am there for you, this too shall pass.”

In the end we do need to be true to ourselves and express how we feel AND THEN make a supreme effort to pick ourselves up.

We have our own ways and means. I pray when the going gets really tough and cry if need be when it gets overwhelming. Writing and listening to music also helps. I also surround myself with people who will listen and not judge. I find that people who tell me NOT to feel this way pisses me off and do more harm than those who just listen and make me laugh.

In the final analysis, even with the help and support of people around you, there is no one to rely on but yourself to solve your own dilemma.

So the next time somebody is under the weather, take time to listen, no matter how eager you are to dispense your advice.
We all just need someone to listen.
Sometimes.
And then a good kick in the pants.
Believe me and take my advice!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home